Tuesday 16 July 2013

8. St John's Hospice Wirral...... The House of Angels :)

Now, this hospice is full of angels, they for the most part wear uniforms of one sort or another and the biggest smiles you will ever see.
These ladies and gentlemen are a lifeline Jon and myself have come to depend on and admire, they are selfless. From the volunteers who give their time, skills and smiles freely, right through to the top of the staffing line, who give us so much care and compassion. I will never be able to thank them enough for what they do for Jon and myself.

When we first went along to the hospice to see it and had an appointment with the consultant, there was something, to a certain degree, behind it. It is Jon's wish that when the time comes, if possible he would like to spend his last days here. The reason behind this at the time, was, he thought it would be easier for me if he was here....I could take a break and recharge my batteries knowing he was in safe hands. I'm not sure about taking breaks, but I see what he means. The hospice is quite small and he wanted to get himself known to them so he would stand a chance of being admitted when the time comes.
Anyway, after seeing the consultant Jon was asked if he would like to try the day center once a week.....he agreed, but I think we were both doubtful that this would really be his thing. But give it a try he did.
Arriving home after the first visit, he seemed very impressed with the whole thing....it wasn't full of sad miserable people waiting for god. It was a happy chatty place, with lots of smiles and of course much to Jon's delight, lots of tea and cake!! Also he praises the hospice cooks to the hilt, he loves his lunches there!
Doesn't really say a lot for my cooking does it? haha..

The staff are wonderful, he has done a lot of art work there, they have a fantastic array of things to do, which again he didn't think he would fancy, but he was wrong there also. It's a bit of fun and relaxation and brings a smile to my face when he brings home things he has made..

This is Jon standing with some of his (and others) art work, at an open evening at St John's Hospice.


The nursing staff are in another league, they take such good care of everyone they come into contact with, patients and families. Two in particular spring to mind, Elaine and Helen, but all the staff are so friendly and  do their jobs  to the highest standard. These are the kind of people I know I can trust to look after the most precious thing I have in the world, my Jon.
Elaine is the manager of the day center (I think lol) and has the measure of Jon, she knows when something isn't quite right without him having to say a word. This why I can trust all of these angels with my Jon...they care!!
Helen is my support, I have sessions with her every few weeks and have come to trust her with my inner most thoughts. Safe in the knowledge she wont judge or betray my confidences. I wasn't sure at first that this sort of thing would do me much good, but Jon told me to "give it a go" and if it didn't work out, nothing was lost. So I did.....and I'm so glad I did! Helen is such a great help to me and will continue to be as we go through time with this monster that is intent on taking my Jon from me.

Another thing that we have both been lucky enough to have had a part in, is the Christmas Party, so much fun!! The staff and volunteers, the entertainers, the cooks, all went out of their way to make it a fabulous day.



Jon having a brilliant time at the Christmas Party, lovely to see the smiles!!

I could go on so much longer in telling you how wonderful this hospice has been for Jon and myself, but I think you have got the idea by now. All of what they do, day in day out is funded by donations....these donations come from all walks of life. People who give up their time to do sponsored events of every type imaginable, to people who give just what they can. All of these people are so important to the upkeep of the hospice, which in turn brings help and some happiness and comfort to patients and their families, while going through such awful times in their lives.
I just want to say a huge thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to all at St John's Hospice Wirral, for "being there" for Jon and myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment